Foreclosure Intervention and Homeowner Representation:
We provide assistance throughout the whole foreclosure process, including foreclosure motion practice, good faith hearings, foreclosure defense litigation, preparing and negotiating loan modifications, and settlement conferences in Kings County Supreme Court.
As part of the Brooklyn Foreclosure Advocates, we participate weekly in the Friend of the Court program in Kings County Supreme Court to assist unrepresented individuals in foreclosure cases. Through this program, Access Justice Brooklyn staff are available to assist with foreclosure matters every Thursday; the Friend of the Court program currently operates in-person and virtually.
In addition to foreclosures, we address a range of other homeowner concerns through quiet titles, partitions, and bankruptcy and provide assistance in deed theft cases and reverse mortgages, matters of particular concern for senior homeowners. In all of these areas, we provide legal education virtually as well as through senior centers and other community partners to help Brooklyn residents identify and avoid predatory scams, abusive lending practices, and other threats to homeownership.
The Foreclosure Legal Assistance Group (FLAG) Program is a partnership between the BLS Public Service Law Center, Access Justice Brooklyn, and Kings County Supreme Court to assist homeowners in Kings County who are facing foreclosure. FLAG provides homeowners entangled in foreclosure litigation with essential information about New York’s unique foreclosure process and helps them understand their rights and options. Access Justice Brooklyn staff are available to assist on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 2:30 PM to 3:30 PM at Kings County Supreme Court, Room 360. We also staff the Kings County Supreme Court Foreclosure Clinic every Friday from 10:00 AM–1:00 PM.
In partnership with the Office of Administrative Trials and Hearings (OATH) and Brooklyn Law School, the Homeowner Representation Project also provides representation for the day to homeowners in Department of Buildings matters. OATH operates every Monday from 8:45 AM to 1 :00PM, currently telephonically.
If you need legal help, you can start an online intake here. If you prefer to speak with staff directly, our intake hours are Monday through Thursday between 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Please call (718) 624-3894 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What is Deed Fraud?
- Foreclosure Scams: What You Need to Know
- Path of Foreclosure in New York State
- National Grid Bill Help: Complete a short questionnaire to see what assistance is available to you.
- Con Edison Payment Plans and Assistance: You may qualify for a discount on your monthly energy bill if you are enrolled in governmental assistance programs.
- The Low Income Household Water Assistance Program: LIHWAP helps low income households pay the cost of water and sewer services.
- HomeownerHelpNY.org: The Office of the Attorney General’s new website for homeowners with resources on how to avoid foreclosure rescue scams and promote the HOPP network of services to homeowners in need.
- Homeowner Handbook: Protecting and maintaining your home in NYC
- NYC Housing Connect: Online portal to find and apply for affordable rental and homeownership opportunities across the five boroughs of New York City.
Access Justice Brooklyn
44 Court Street, Suite 1206
Brooklyn, NY 11201